The Jo Roesen Scrapbook
The following picture was kindly sent to us by Robert and Jennifer Rose of Ontario, Canada. It shows 9F 92234 passing Broadway at speed with an express freight, heading south. We do not know the date, but it must have been between 1958 and 1963. The loco was built at Crewe in August 1958, and the station was demolished in November 1963. The last shed was Birkenhead, but at some time in her career she was based at Pontypool Rd, which might explain this run with windcutter type mineral wagons. 92234 was cut up in 1968.
A classic picture of the 'Coffeepot' at Broadway station, an auto coach propelled by a 14xx locomotive. We can't quite make out the number - the number plate is obscured by the slack pipe, and the print is somewhat scratched - but it could be 1428. There is no smokebox number plate yet. Help with identifying potential candidates would be appreciated. The loco has steam to spare, and is about to depart for Honeybourne, with the auto coach leading. The starter signal under the footbridge is in the 'off' position. No human being is visible on the photograph, but – there is a dog. On cleaning up the scan, we discovered him standing by the gents' loo, above the LH buffer, looking back along the train. He is not on a leash, and our guess is that he belonged to a member of the station staff. Does anyone have any ideas?
The picture was taken in the late 1940's by a 15 year old schoolboy called C.D. (Del) Renfrew. Del Renfrew lived nearby in Springfield Lane, and the picture was given us by his cousin Peter, to whom we are very grateful.
A leaky Castle rumbles through Broadway on a cold day in the late 1940s. The fireman has just thrown on another shovel of coal, as the loco heads south past the cattle dock. This contains a horse box and a van. The steam enveloping the loco is quite probably a sign of the maintenance backlog in the immediate post war years. The loco is about to, or has just become nationalised. It does not yet have a smokebox number plate, and we can make out three of the four numbers on the buffer beam. (50x8). The third figure is rounded, and our best guess is that this Castle is Llanthony Abbey, stationed at Wolverhampton Stafford Road in 1950. The train did not stop at Broadway; typically for our line, it was a long distance train from the Midlands most likely heading for the south West.
The picture was taken by a resident of Springfield lane, Del Renfrew, then aged 15, and was given to us by his cousin Peter.
A tranquil scene, pre 1957, when the crossover by the cattle dock was taken out. Two employees in peaked caps are leaning against a 3 wheeled barrow with luggage. On the opposite platform, a pair of baskets which have also appeared in other photographs. The up signals are off; the down home is a bit obscured by a sighting board to make it stand out against the footbridge but also looks off. The signal box was still in operation at this time. In the distance Springfield Lane bridge can be seen after a slight curve (which continued right through the station) and beyond that, the next bridge can also be made out – Collin Lane.
A view of Broadway station taken after closure to passengers (1960) and before demolition (1963). The platform furniture is gone, and all the signs except WAY OUT have been removed. The two posts on the left used to carry a smaller sign with BROADWAY on it, a sort of repeater to the main running in board. The signals and crossover by the cattle dock have been removed, and the up starter is lying on its side beyond platform 2. The platforms are already covered in weeds, but the rails are still shiny showing that they are in regular use (up to 1976 in fact). Standing at the end of the platform, in the distance, is the photographer’s friend in jacket and tie. Their car is parked on the forecourt.
A very interesting picture taken post demolition from the trackbed – still well used – up to the former stationmaster’s house. It shows the layout of the site before the garden of the house was extended towards the platforms. A rudimentary fence runs along the former façade of the station building, whose foundations can just about be seen next to the trackbed. The walls of the cattle dock are still visible, but the rest of the platforms is now well covered in grass and the site of the former waiting room and footbridge can only be guessed at. There is a very old (1950s?) saloon car parked below the stationmaster’s house.
A view taken at the same time looking south. The old cattle dock is on the left, and the goods shed in the far distance. A rusty oil drum has been rolled down towards the trackbed.
On the same day, the photographer also took a view north from the middle of station Road Bridge – not the best place to stand, given that the line is still in regular use by freight and through passenger trains. The signal box was located to the right and to the rear, right next to the bridge. The pilaster on the right is missing its cap stone, although it is otherwise undamaged. The stone was found in the undergrowth and replaced in the summer of 2013. Why it was removed is not clear.
Again, on the same day, this view was taken of the station forecourt. There is sign of some commercial activity, with a trailer, two wheelbarrows and a Commer lorry of 1971 vintage (with a pre 1963 plate). The concrete fence posts lying on the ground are still there today! Also on site today is a very old and rusty wheelbarrow, which looks very much like the one in this picture. Could it be the same one?
Authors: Unknown, pictures courtesy of Tony Harden.
---------------------Page last updated on 29th October 2013 -------------------------